latest news

more articles

new about market

more articles

Learn something new

more articles

community's choice

more articles

community's choice

more articles

CoinwaftNews

SBF’s Legal Team Said The Proposed 50-Year Sentence “Is Not Justice,” Criticizes The Proposed Verdict

3 Mins

By Coinwaft Editorial

March 20, 2024 at 5:19 PM

Last updated

March 20, 2024 at 5:19 PM

SBF’s Legal Team Said The Proposed 50-Year Sentence “Is Not Justice,” Criticizes The Proposed Verdict

Source: GettyImages

The legal battle surrounding Sam Bankman-Fried, the former CEO of the now-defunct cryptocurrency exchange FTX, has intensified as his defense team has vehemently criticized the government’s proposal for a maximum sentence of 50 years in prison.

In a letter addressed to Judge Lewis Kaplan, Bankman-Fried’s attorneys, Marc Mukasey and Torrey Young, branded the proposed sentence as a throwback to a “medieval” approach to punishment. 

They argued that the government’s sentencing memorandum presents a distorted narrative that portrays their client as a malevolent supervillain.

“With marked hostility, the memorandum distorts reality to support its precious ‘loss’ narrative and casts Sam as a depraved super-villain,”

the defense team stated, accusing the prosecution of unfairly vilifying Bankman-Fried.

Defense Seeks Reduced Sentence of 5-6 Years

Dismissing the proposed sentence as an unjust punishment, the defense team argued for a reduced prison term of five to six years. 

They emphasized that the bankruptcy proceedings would ensure that all customers and lenders are fully compensated, leaving no actual losses. 

This, they contend, undermines the government’s narrative of severe financial harm caused by Bankman-Fried’s actions.

Furthermore, Bankman-Fried’s lawyers disputed the prosecution’s portrayal of their client as driven by greed and solely focused on personal wealth accumulation. 

They highlighted his philanthropic efforts and purportedly modest lifestyle, countering the government’s narrative that painted him as a self-serving individual motivated by personal gain.

Challenging the Prosecution’s Claims and Lack of Precedent

The defense team also challenged the prosecution’s assertion that Bankman-Fried posed a high risk of re-offending, citing research indicating low recidivism rates among white-collar, educated offenders without prior records. 

They argued that their client’s background and lack of criminal history should favor a more lenient sentence.

Moreover, they criticized the prosecution for making unsubstantiated claims, including allegations that Bankman-Fried evaded responsibility and misinterpreted sentencing data related to comparable fraud cases. 

The defense pointed out the lack of precedent for a non-violent offender serving a 40-to-50-year sentence. It stressed that such an excessively harsh punishment was unnecessary, considering the personal and professional losses Bankman-Fried had already endured.

FTX Creditors’ Impact Statements Highlight Losses

While the defense team seeks to mitigate Bankman-Fried’s sentence, the Department of Justice (DOJ) has taken a firm stance, filing dozens of victim impact statements in the criminal case ahead of his sentencing. 

In these filings, victims of FTX’s collapse expressed anguish, claiming that the event robbed them of financial security, inflicted emotional distress, and eroded their trust in the financial system.

One victim lamented their precarious financial situation, revealing that as a restitution claimant, they had experienced a complete loss of income for over a year. 

“My circumstances are exacerbated by my current unemployment status and ongoing disability recognition process,”

they added, highlighting the severe consequences of FTX’s collapse.

As Judge Kaplan prepares to weigh the arguments from both sides and consider the impact statements from FTX creditors, the sentencing decision for Bankman-Fried will have far-reaching implications for the cryptocurrency industry and the ongoing debate surrounding white-collar crime and appropriate punishment.

The defense team’s criticism of the proposed 50-year sentence as excessive and disproportionate raises questions about the fairness of sentencing guidelines and the need for a more nuanced approach that considers individual circumstances. 

Conversely, the government’s stance reflects a desire to send a strong message and deter future financial misconduct in the rapidly evolving cryptocurrency market.

Ultimately, the outcome of this case will shape the trajectory of cryptocurrency regulation and set precedents for how the legal system handles white-collar crimes involving emerging technologies. 

Disclaimer: Coinwaft is a crypto media platform providing cryptocurrency news, analysis, and trading information. The content of this article is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as financial, legal, or investment advice. Readers are advised once again to research or consult a financial expert before making any financial decision.

© 2025 Coinwaft. All Rights Reserved.

Coinwaft Editorial

Coinwaft Editorial

Editorial

Coinwaft Editorial, the official voice of Coinwaft. Our team of experienced financial journalists and blockchain experts delivers authoritative, well-researched content on digital assets, market trends, and emerging technologies. With a commitment to accuracy and objectivity, we provide our readers with comprehensive coverage of the rapidly evolving crypto space.

Author profile

Get the daily newsletter that helps thousands of investors get early alpha and understand the markets.

By pressing the "Subscribe button" you agree with our Privacy Policy.

© 2025 Coinwaft. All Right Reserved.

Coinwaft uses cookies to offer a better browsing experience. By clicking accept, you consent to our privacy policy & use of cookies.